Ask Reddit: The Weirdest Interview Questions
You can bet your bottom dollar there are candidates out there who are tired of hearing “Tell us a little about yourself” and “Where do you see yourself in five years?”. While we encourage asking unique questions that’ll make candidates think outside the box, there are some that leave them scratching their head, and not in a good way.
We turned to the most trustworthy of sources (AKA a platform for candidates to rant anonymously) to find out the most bizarre things they’ve been asked in an interview. So, without further ado, here are some of the “most f*cked up questions I’ve been asked in an interview” from Reddit that have left candidates wondering what on earth is going on…
“You’ve been given an elephant. You can’t give it away or sell it. What would you do with it?”
One candidate went with “I would take it to every meeting and ask if we should address the elephant in the room”. Another candidate said if they were asked this they would “register it as a service animal and then sue the company for not having a big enough door for it. Make millions and sip margaritas on the beach”. Pretty smart!
“They asked me to sing the alphabet but not the normal way.”
“The interview was in front of the whole store and employees. Any other way was fine, it just has to impress everyone. So, I burped the alphabet in front of all these strangers. I did not get the job.”
"Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?"
“My reply was "No. It's a Christmas classic". I got the job.”
"How many windows are there in New York?"
“I asked if they were serious, and they said yes it was an exercise to see how I'd work out the problem and they wanted me to answer. So, I went with it, because I wanted the job, I spoke through my reasoning. Then the guy smiles like a jack**ss and says, "Yeah, really, the answer is “If I needed to know I'd just Google it”.
“Have you ever wanted to just get on a ladder and see what the ceiling tastes like?"
“The room reeked of weed and there was a poorly hidden bong in the corner. I was applying for a job in the mailroom of a major insurance company.”
"We often have a register full of cash. Have you ever stolen cash in any previous jobs?"
“Uhhh.... who says yes?”
Here are some of our other faves:
- “Not during an interview, but my references were asked whether I had a larcenous or murderous heart?”
- "Would you have any ethical questions about taking an axe to a dead cow?"
- “It was something like if I was shrunk and dropped in a blender, how would I get out?”
- "If a police officer framed your friend for murder, what would you do?".
- “If I called you in the middle of the night and told you I am in Vegas naked stuck with no car, would you come pick me up?”
- “What leadership qualities would be useful if you were trying to teach someone to cook a chicken?"
- “How do you deal with stupid people?”
- “I got asked what my Uber rating was last week.”
- “What do you think would be a fitting epitaph on your gravestone?”
Hey, regardless of what you ask in your interview, as long as you find the right candidate, we don’t judge 🤷♀️ But once you’ve got the candidate whose answers impressed you, make sure you add them to Hiredeck - our latest slick candidate submission portal built inside Bullhorn.